Face waxing is a controversial topic and there is a lot of debate going on online whether getting your face waxed is the right thing to do. There are a lot of other methods people opt for like face threading, plucking, trimming, shaving or simply bleaching to hide the dark facial hair. If you ask me, I would always go for face waxing since it works the best provided you take proper pre and post-care. Below are some important things you need to know before getting your face waxed along with after-care:
HOW IS FACE WAXING BETTER THAN OTHER FACIAL HAIR REMOVAL METHODS?
Trimming or shaving facial hair simply removes the exposed hair and has a risk of ingrown hair and bumps. Also, hair grows back pretty soon which is thicker and feels itchy which can lead to other inflammatory issues. Frequent shaving can give you chicken-skin and if you have oily skin and acne problems, it can just make it worse. Threading is a better option but again involves risk of nicks ad cuts and it is harsh on the skin; not to forget it is painful as well! Facial waxing removes hair from larger areas in one go (so you don’t feel much pain) that too from the roots so you have soft and hair-free skin for almost a month.
FACE WAXING: PRE CARE
- Before getting your face waxed, make sure you have no active acne or skin issues.
- Exfoliate gently to remove any dead skin and also to unclog pores. Softer skin gives the best results.
- Stop using any acid products or skin-peeling produces 3-4 days before your face waxing appointment. This will ensure that you do not have any major side effects or irritation post-waxing.
- Make sure you moisturize your skin well a night before your face waxing appointment. Well moisturized and softer skin gives better results. Dry skin can cause itchiness after waxing.
- Wash your face with a moisturizing face wash and do not use any creams or anything prior waxing. Let your face be bare or the wax won’t be as effective in removing facial hair.
FACE WAXING: POST CARE
- Once you get your face waxed, your skin will feel sore and red. Avoid using anything (creams, makeup etc.) or even using a face wash for 24 hours post waxing.
- Do not use any acne treatments or acids for 3-4 days.
- Make sure you use a good quality non-comedogenic moisturizer post 24 hours.
- Use a gentle exfoliator from day 3 (everyday) to make sure you get no ingrown hair.
- You can use nourishing overnight facial packs or masks from day 2 to keep your skin acne-free, soft and bump-free.
- If your skin feels itchy, apply organic ale vera gel before bed time.
- It is good to get a skin-cooling or skin-nourishing facial done right after waxing, this reduces post-waxing symptoms.