Winter is around the corner. So, it is highly recommended that you start taking good care of your hair and skin so that you can enjoy the cool weather without having to worry about flaky scalp, chapped lips and dry skin. Wondering how to winter-proof your skin and hair? Keep reading to know the top five easiest ways to gear up for the winters.
Top five ways to winter-proof your skin and hair
1. Facial care: It is time to keep those bottles of oil-free face wash, astringents and alcohol-based toners back on the shelf. You won’t be in need of these products for the next few months. Start exfoliating your skin with a cream-based mild scrub, once a week. This will make sure that the dead cells are removed while the facial skin is still not stripped of moisture. This in turn, will minimize the possibility of breakouts and dull-looking skin. Moisturize your skin with a good quality moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated. Do not forget your sun-block cream during the peak hours of daytime. A nourishing night cream is absolutely necessary because it repairs your skin and restores healthy skin when you are fast asleep. Once in a while, make sure that you use a hydrating face mask by combining a tablespoon of milk cream with a tablespoon of honey. If possible, go for a deep moisturizing facial treatment once in a month to restore the lost moisture-content to your skin and soothe it.
2. Body care: Switch over to a bottle of rich body wash and use it every time you want to clean your body of the superficial dirt and impurities instead of using soaps. It is better to opt for a creamy body wash instead of the sparkling transparent shower gel. Shower gels are better suited for the summers. After-shower application of body oil is absolutely necessary. Make sure you smother your dewy skin with a generous amount of body oil. You may wish to use olive oil or almond oil instead of any packaged body oil! They are equally good, perhaps even better! Of course, you should not forget applying body lotion, one that preferably contains traces of alpha-hydroxy acid. DIY skin detox with oil to keep your skin soft, warm and moisturized all winter season.
3. Lip care: Lips speak a thousand words about your winter-care regimen. So, make sure that your lips don’t flake this season! Once in a while, exfoliate your lips by mixing olive oil and fine salt. Apply and reapply lip balms frequently. Invest in a ‘lip-hydrating’ formula instead of a ‘lip-firming’ formula.
4. Hands and feet care: You must pay special attention to your hands and feet. As for your hands, prepare a scrub by mixing two tablespoons of sugar, one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil. Use it for exfoliating your hands twice a week before bedtime and then, slather a generous quantity of hand cream. Use a hand cream before you retire to bed everyday and wake-up with soft and smooth hands. Once a week, clean your feet. Start by adding a few drops of shampoo to a tub of warm water and then, dipping your feet in it. Wait for five minutes, scrub your feet using a pumice stone and then, file your nails and clean them. Smother your feet with a repairing foot cream and wear socks if you are comfortable in them. Do not forget using the foot cream at bedtime regularly.
5. Hair care: It is important to keep your hair moisturized. Combine carrier oils with essential oils into a nourishing and enriching blend and go for a hot oil treatment twice every week. Use a moisturizing shampoo and use a conditioner. Do not shampoo more than two times a week. Refrain from using hot water directly on hair. Keep your hair protected by using scarf or a stylish hat.
More: DIY 15 best DIY homemade beauty products to keep you gorgeous this winter season >>
Thus, with these easy-to-follow tips, making your skin and hair winter-proof is easy. ‘Moisturizing’ is the key word and don’t forget doing that to your hair and skin for the next few months. Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated!