This is the season when you would love to jump into the pool of water to beat the summer heat. The mercury is rising higher and it is so much fun to splash and swim in cool water. Summer is indeed the time for swimmers. But swimming regularly can take a toll on your skin and hair if you are not careful about going that extra mile to pamper them. So, follow a few easy tips and make the most of your swimming sessions!
Tips for swimmers before swimming The presence of chemicals in swimming pool and over exposure of your skin to the harsh rays of the sun tend to make your skin dark, dull and tanned. Hence, prevention is always better that cure; follow the tips before you hit the swimming pool:
- Protect your hair: Invest in a bottle of olive oil or coconut oil. Apply it liberally on the strands of your hair. This will guard your hair from copper oxidation by creating a protective layer on your hair. If possible, wear a shower cap to shield your hair from the damaging effects of chemicals.
- Take a shower: Take a shower before you dive into the pool. It will help in hydrating your skin’s topmost layer instantly. Wet your hair to prevent your hair from soaking the chemicals present in water.
- Protect your skin: If your skin is sensitive to chlorine, make sure you apply a lotion with chlorine-neutralizing action. Otherwise, just smother your skin with a sunscreen lotion, preferably waterproof sunscreen lotion that will not only protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, but will also moisturize it.
- Hydrate: Drink sufficient water to help your body restore its natural moisture.
Tips for swimmers while swimming
- Reapplication of sunscreen: While swimming, take a break after about thirty minutes to re-apply sun block cream to defend your skin from sun burn and sun tan.
- Drink water: Keep a bottle of water handy. Sip to keep yourself hydrated.
Tips for swimmers after swimming
- Take a shower: Use gentle soap and water to do away with any chlorine residue on skin immediately after swimming.
- Wash your hair: Use a clarifying shampoo to product build up from hair and scalp. Follow up with a conditioner.
- Hair Rinse: Try using apple cider vinegar rinse or lemon rinse for your hair.
- Care for your hair: After going back home, take good care of your hair. Go for a hot oil massage every night. Twice a week, whip up a creamy nourishing hair pack using egg yolk, honey and avocado. Mayonnaise can also be used instead of avocado. Apply the hair pack and go for a hot turban therapy. Rinse and shampoo as usual.
- Care for your skin: Skin too deserves special attention. Apply cool cucumber juice every day after you reach home to soothe skin and treat sunburn. Twice or thrice a week, mix yoghurt with honey and use it as a cooling face pack. At night, use a good quality night cream and add vitamin E and vitamin A capsules for an enriching experience.
Swimming is a wonderful hobby and one of the best exercises possible! However, it can have damaging effects on your skin and hair if you are not careful enough. But, with a few easy tips, swimming can be a fulfilling experience, not only because it is a great way to beat the summer heat and keep your body fit, but also because your skin and hair would remain healthy and beautiful, even as you excel as a swimmer.