Acne is a medical condition that affects people of all ages and it is particularly troublesome during adolescence, when hormone levels are increasing. Acne can appear on the face, chest, back and scalp. Just like the rest of the body, the scalp has pores that secrete oil (sebum) to the surface of the scalp. When the bacteria already on the scalp combine with dead skin cells and sebum, the pores get blocked, leading to an outbreak of acne.
Popular ingredient to reduce and remove acne on the scalp is aloe vera. It can help kill the bacteria causing the acne, prevent infection, reduce inflammation and promote healing. It even helps maintain the pH balance of the scalp.
How to use: Thoroughly mix ½ cup of aloe vera gel and the juice of ½ of a lemon. Apply it on your damp hair, giving more focus to the affected area. Wait 30 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Do this once daily for a few days.
Neem work actively on the scalp problems with its antiseptic and antibiotic properties.
How to use: Get a handful of neem leaves and boil them in water for 20 to 30 minutes, separate the solution and grind the leaves in order to make a fine paste. Apply on the scalp entirely, concentrating on the boil zone. Hold it for about 30 minutes or more than that and then rinse off with normal water.
Tomatoes are an excellent way to establish a healthy pH for our skin and hair, plus they’re packed with salicylic acid. That’s what makes tomatoes one of the best natural remedies for acne.
How to use: Prepare a mixture with 1 tablespoon of tomato juice, a few drops of lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of raw honey. Dip a cotton ball in it and apply it on the affected areas. Wait 5 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Use this remedy once daily for a few days.
Raw honey has antibacterial as well as antioxidant properties that collectively help inhibit growth of bacteria that cause scalp acne. It is also effective at reducing the redness and pain.
How to use: Mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Apply it on the scalp using your fingers. Wait 20 minutes, then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Use this remedy once daily.
Mix one tablespoon of lavender oil with one tablespoon of olive oil and 3-4 tablespoons of tea tree oil. Mix all the three ingredients well and use it on the scalp like a shampoo to watch changes on your scalp infections.
- Apply a warm, moist washcloth or compress on the affected area several times a day to relieve discomfort and help the acne drain, if needed.
- You can prepare a scalp and hair rinse made of 1/2 lemon juice and 1/2 rose water to use after you’ve washed your hair; let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes then rinse with clear water.
- Squeeze half a lemon and apply it on the scalp pimple. It cleanses your scalp, reduces the acne break outs and fights with the bad promoting for acne as well.
- Rinse your locks with a garlic tea, using four peeled cloves of garlic and approximately three cups of boiled water.
- You can use a simple rinse of one part apple cider vinegar and two parts water. This will give your hair a healthy boost; you’ll also give your scalp astringent properties that can alleviate painful blemishes.