Headaches are very common and affect a lot of people frequently. Factors that induce headaches are stress, fatigue, allergies, hormones, nutritional deficiencies, constipation, poor posture, low blood sugar, and alcohol or drug consumption. Peppermint is a well-known headache remedy that gives quick headache relief! Below is how you could use peppermint for headache along with its benefits:
- Peppermint has significant analgesic effects that help reduce sensitivity to pain.
- Peppermint oil can also improve blood circulation and relax tense muscles.
- Peppermint oil contains anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties which cure sinus headaches.
- If you have headache due to cold, peppermint will cure that too and will also give you relief from running nose!
WAYS TO USE PEPPERMINT OIL FOR HEADACHE:
Forehead mask- Mix a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon, 5 drops of peppermint oil and water to make a paste. Apply to the forehead and leave for 5 – 8 minutes and rinse with water. Repeat regularly for best results.
Peppermint steam- Inhaling the soothing aroma of peppermint steam can ease headache as well as accompanying symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting. In a vessel of hot steaming water, add few drops of peppermint essential oil and inhale the steam for few minutes. Repeat several times a day until you get relief from headache.
Forehead massage: Take some warm/room temperature coconut oil in your palms and t it, add few drops of peppermint essential oil. use it to massage your forehead and temples before bedtime. Make sure you wipe off the excess before sleeping or the oil can get in your eyes and cause irritation.
- Never use essential oils directly on skin, always dilute it with a carrier oil or other ingredients.
- Always consult a doctor before using any essential oil on skin or before consuming it, especially if you are pregnant.
- Patch test before use.
- If irritation occurs, dilute the essential oil or stop using it.