Dry mouth is a very common problem faced by many. Dry mouth also called as xerostomia is caused when saliva production is either stopped or reduced causing your mouth to feel dry or sticky. Dry mouth symptoms include dry tongue, bad breath, trouble swallowing, frequently feeling thirsty etc. This problem can be easily treated with simple lifestyle changes and home remedies:
Fennel seeds can stimulate the saliva flow and thus prevent or cure dry mouth.
All you need to do is mix together equal amounts of fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds. Dry roast them in a pan, grind them thoroughly, add a little salt and mix it thoroughly. Store it in an air tight container and eat 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture after your meals.
Aloe vera moisturizes the mouth and is an age old remedy for dry mouth.
You simply need to get fresh ale vera gel from the leaf and mix it with little water. Make sure there are no lumps. Use this aloe vera solution as a mouthwash several times a day. Continue this for few weeks or until you see the condition improved.
Lemon stimulates saliva production and prevents dry mouth.
Add the juice of half a lemon and a little honey to a glass of water. Sip this water throughout the day to stay hydrated. You may also sprinkle little salt on lemon wedge and rub it on your tongue to bring back the tasting ability by stimulating your taste buds.
Water is the most important remedy for dry mouth. People suffering from dry mouth should drink plenty of water even when you don’t feel thirsty. Sipping water throughout the day will keep your mouth moist and prevent drying.
Chewing gums are a great way to stimulate saliva production. Whenever we chew on anything, the salivary glands produce saliva in order to moisten and soften the food. By chewing on the gums (maybe sugar-free ones if you are calorie conscious), you can easily trick salivary glands to product more saliva. Chew on some sugar-free chewing gums throughout the day.
Moisturizing properties of grapeseed oil helps prevent symptoms of dry mouth and as it contains vitamin E, it also heals or prevents ulcers as a result of internal mouth cracks.
Take some grape seed oil n your palms and apply it on your tongue and inner cheeks using fingers. Leave it overnight and brush your teeth as usual in the morning. Follow this night routine until you see positive results.
- – Chew a pod of cardamom thoroughly after every meal or whenever your mouth is dry.
- – Consume lot of fruit juices, shakes and smoothies.
- – Because a dry mouth can increase your risk for tooth decay, it’s important to keep up a good oral care routine as you find ways to remoisturize. Use an anti-cavity toothpaste to prevent tooth cavities.
- – Avoid smoking and chewing tobacco as it hampers saliva production.
- – Lower your intake of spicy and acidic foods as they can irritate the inside of the mouth.
- – Munch on snacks that have high water content like celery sticks to stimulate the saliva glands.