We are surrounded with several infection/allergy triggers like virus, bacteria, dust pollen, etc. that affects us and one result of this is a constant cough and cold. Since the viruses and bacteria that are responsible for a cough and cold keep adapting to new medicines and surroundings, they always affect us no matter what! I always hated cough syrups as they made me sleepy! Over-the-counter cough syrups do work but certainly don’t taste pleasant and have side effects.
Ginger and honey are 2 well-known ingredients used since ancient times and in Ayurveda, to treat common cold and cough. Below is how you could make a cough syrup using these 2 ingredients along with its benefits:
- Ginger is a natural and best remedy for dealing with cough. It can help in stimulating the blood circulation and mucous flow.
- Ginger and honey are loaded with cough calming compounds that help to relax the ileal and tracheal muscles and it decreases inflammation too.
- Honey and ginger both have anti-inflammatory properties and will help bring the mucus up from your chest and respiratory tract. The combination of both will serve as one of the best home remedies for cough.
WAYS TO MAKE GINGER AND HONEY COUGH SYRUP:
- In a glass jar, add sliced ginger and lemon (2:1). Fill it to the brim. Now, grab some raw and organic honey and pour it into the jar making sure the other ingredients (lemon and ginger slices) are soaked in it. Put the lid and place the jar in a dark cool place for 3-4 days. Have the syrup 3-4 times a day to ward off cough.
- In a bowl, add 3 tablespoons of ginger powder and pour ½-1 cup of raw organic honey over it. Mix it well and your instant cough syrup is ready! Have the syrup 3-4 times a day to ward off cough.