We call okra as lady finger as well which is a rich source of many nutrients. Okra should be a part of your diet due to its many health benefits. Let us take an outlook at its nutrient list and health benefits.
Okra is rich in fiber, folate, vitamin A, K, B3, B1, B6, magnesium, manganese, beta carotene, lutein and zeaxanthin. It helps greatly in pregnancy, prevents diabetes, kidney disease, improves colon health, reduces issues related to respiratory problems such as Asthma and promotes skin health. It also improves digestion, maintains weight, kills free radicals, improves vision, boosts mood and eases constipation.
Do you find okra fry yummy? As far as we know, many like it. Now that you know all the benefits, you must be thinking that fries aren’t healthy. Well, we are trying to remove excess oil used in this recipe by using minimum oil. We do not ask you to eat it regularly but can be eaten as a snack once in a while or with rice or paratha during weekends. Sometimes we want to eat something delicious as well. This recipe is a simple one yet delicious. So, children may also like to eat it.
- Okra/Lady finger
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp mango powder
- ¼ tsp chaat masala
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- Salt as per taste
- Rinse the okra well for few times with water and then wipe them dry with a napkin. Cut hem vertically into four pieces.
- Take the pieces into a bowl and add all the spice powders or masalas one after the other over the okra pieces.
- You can make changes to the spice powders as per your taste. There is no rule that you should these powders only.
- Now add the gram flour to it and mix well and carefully. Make sure the okra pieces are well covered with the flour.
- Marinate the okra pieces in this flour mixture for about 25 – 30 minutes or an hour If you want.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add okra pieces and fry them well. If you are making this in large quantity then fry them in batches instead of doing it all together.
- Make sure to use the oil in minimal so that you don’t have messy oil strain left overs or you have to throw away the left over.
- Also the oil should be hot enough else the okra won’t absorb it and as a result of which it will become soggy.
- Do this over medium flame till the okra turns golden brown. Keep mixing so that the okra gets equally fried on all sides.
- Shallow fry instead of deep fry since if you do so, your pan will have all those spices, gram flour and okra seeds left in the pan and won’t look good.
- Since too much of oil isn’t good for health put them over kitchen tissues to remove the excess oil from okra.
- Now take them in a plate and serve. If you want you can sprinkle some chaat masala or black salt or some lemon juice over it.