Making your own alternative milks at home is easy and really rewarding. It’s fantastic that there are lots of options for non-dairy milk these days; Flax seed milk being one of them! Flax seed milk unlike cow’s milk, contains no cholesterol or lactose, making it healthier for your heart. Let us see some top benefits of flax seed milk; but before heading on to the benefits, let us know how to make one:
FLAX SEED MILK RECIPE:
Things you need:
- 1/3 cup flax seeds
- 3 cups water (plus 1-1.5 more cups)
- Cheesecloth or unworn pantyhose
- 2 dates (or stevia or honey to taste)
- Combine flax seeds and 3 cups water in a blender.
- Blend it until thick and creamy.
- To strain seed particles, filter the thick milk using a cheese cloth.
- Once strained, blend 1-1.5 more cups of water with dates to desired consistency.
- Chill it before consuming.
FLAX SEED BENEFITS:
EASE MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS
A 2013 study found that flaxseed can be very effective for menopausal women to fight the symptoms of menopause. The lignans in flaxseed have estrogenic properties that can help reduce hot flashes, mood disturbances and vaginal dryness. It can even help menstruating women maintain a regular cycle and promote fertility.
STABILIZES BLOOD SUGAR
Intake of flaxseed milk can improve blood sugar levels in people who have Type 2 diabetes. Plus, flaxseed has alpha-linolenic acid, as well as protein and fibre that are important for controlling high blood sugar. Maintaining a normal blood sugar level can also prevent complications like kidney failure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Flaxseed is high in fibre that is essential for a healthy digestive system. It can help smooth passage of food through the intestines and even improve intestinal absorption of nutrients. The omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed also protect the lining of the digestive tract and help maintain gastrointestinal health.
CONTROLS HORMONAL IMBALANCE
The antioxidant property of Flax seed has been shown to reduce the symptoms of hormonal imbalance, such as, hot flashes and night sweat in post-menopausal women. Research has shown that a daily consumption of flax seed milk helps to improve moderate hormonal problems as well as overall psychological health.
FLAWLESS SKIN AND SHINY HAIR
The omega 3 fatty acids helps treat skin diseases like acne, allergies and sun sensitivity. In addition, it rejuvenates the skin, regenerates the skin tone and makes it smooth, supple and glowing. It fights the problems of hair fall, dry scalp, dandruff, brittle hair and supplies nourishment to the hair follicles to make the tresses healthy and strong.
Flax seed milk is an excellent addition to the diet if you are looking to shed some extra pounds and stay healthy. The high fibre content in flax makes it heavier as it absorbs fluids and expands in volume that keeps the tummy fuller for a longer time and check cravings and over-eating. This is highly favourable for weight loss.
ADDITIONAL ADVANTAGES OF FLAX SEED MILK:
- Flax milk contains no saturated or trans-fat.
- It is low in calories.
- It is naturally lactose free, as well as being completely void of cholesterol.
- It is creamer than a lot of other milk alternatives.
- flax milks are fortified with minerals and vitamins, including vitamins A, B12 and D, as well as calcium, which equals the nutritional value of other milk alternatives.