Every girl can choose to do whatever she wants with her body hair – leave it if you’re comfortable with it, get rid of it if you’re not, it’s up to you. If you do decide to get rid of the hair, you only have a few options, and the two biggest ones are shaving and waxing.
Waxing is great because it leaves you smoother for longer and gets rid of more hair. The only disadvantage of waxing? It freaking hurts, especially if you’re waxing the bikini area or going the Brazilian way.
Here are a few tips to make your bikini waxing experience less painful:
- Go right after your period ends. Whatever you do, don’t make your waxing appointment a few days before you get your period or during your period. For the five days leading up to your period and all during, you are super sensitive down there… actually, you’re extra sensitive anywhere, meaning the waxing is going to hurt even more. Make your appointments right after your period ends – a woman’s pain tolerance is at her highest three to four days after her period ends.
- Stretching and getting limber before your appointment might mike things less painful. If the skin is more stretched out, it can make things easier for the person waxing you, and it can make the whole process go faster. And a faster wax session means the pain doesn’t go on as long!
- You might think that taking an over-the-counter pain medication after you get a wax makes the most sense, but it’s actually the other way around. Take a pill 30 minutes before you start your wax, like Ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It will minimize the pain during the act and help with the swelling afterwards.
- Cough right before the wax is pulled off! Sounds weird but it does work. Have you ever heard that when you get in a car accident, you’re supposed to relax because tensing your body up can make your injuries worse? This is sort of similar. If you tense up when you think the wax strip is being ripped off, it’s going to hurt more. Try to turn your head and cough just as it’s happening – it will distract you and leave your body less tense. Let your waxer know this is happening so they don’t stop what they’re doing.
- Skip the cup of coffee until after your wax session is over. The stimulants in the coffee can make your skin extra sensitive, meaning you’ll feel the pain way more.
- The day or two before you go, make sure the area you are getting waxed is super moisturized since hydrated skin can stand up to the trauma of waxing better. You may use a diaper cream and trust me it works great.
- Lose your self-consciousness. Yes, a stranger is going to see you wearing, at most, a paper thong. Don’t worry about offending her or feeling embarrassed. It’s nothing she hasn’t seen before. The less anxious you are, the less you’ll worry about pain.
Now that you know the tips for painless bikini waxing, go make an appointment with your favourite salon! Happy waxing!