Air pollution is a top concern these days thanks to tons of vehicles running every day and increasing day by day, factory outlets, smoke, etc. you will be surprised to know that many indoor factors too equally contribute to air pollution, at your home or even outside it. These factors need to be analysed and care should be taken to avoid it or use it the least/reduce its effects. Here are the top sources of indoor air pollution:
PERFUMES AND HAIR SPRAYS
Perfumes and hair sprays are commonly used in houses. If not hair spray, perfumes are definitely used. The products release volatile organic compounds or (VOCs). The effects of released organic gases range from irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat to dizziness and nausea to even more serious problems, including cancer and damage to the central nervous system. Toxicity depends on the type of gas that is released. As a solution, use natural DIY perfumes using essential oils and BEST HOUSE PLANTS FOR CLEAN AIR AND BETTER HEALTH
Every house has a fireplace and/or gas heater. If not fireplace, a gas heater is regularly used during the colder months. These things release respirable particulates that get into out respiratory system and can be harmful causing cough, sore throat, throat inflammation or itching, cold etc.
Smoking tobacco/cigarettes indoors can have negative effects on the person smoking and also to other people around called as passive smoking. Tobacco smoke carries risks akin to those brought on by direct smoking, and include lung cancer and other lung ailments, heart disease, and general irritation of the eyes, throat, nose, and lungs.
PESTICIDES AND INSECTICIDES
We use pesticides and insecticides like mosquito and cockroach repellents very commonly indoors. They release a variety of chemicals into the air. Pesticides and insecticides can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, and they are detrimental to the central nervous system and the kidneys. Instead of using these chemical laden products, use natural bug repellents at home. More: Essential oils to get rid of bugs >>
Pollutants from biological sources like moulds, house dust and what not can make air around you impure due to animal hair, allergens, mould fungus etc. This can wreak havoc on your body, including irritation of the eyes, throat, nose, and lungs, breathing problems (including asthma), fevers, and many different diseases.
Fluorescent lights when broken can emit mercury, in small amounts into the air which is a neurotoxin. Mercury once emitted can settle on carpets, tables, clothes, etc. including as particulates in the air. It can sometimes get difficult to completely get rid of it. If a CFL breaks, open a window, shut off central air, clear the room for 15 minutes.