Nothing beats having a hot cup of masala chai in winter. This spicy and fragrant milky tea is drunk across most of India and much of east Africa. Masala chai is basically black tea made using milk and fragrant spices that also have health benefits. Ideally, 5 spices- cinnamon, fennel, pepper, cardamom and ginger is used in Chai Tea but some people even add other spices according to their health and taste preferences. Here is an ideal chai tea spice mix recipe along with its benefits:
SPICES USED AND BENEFITS
Dominant taste: Gives a hint of sweetness and warmth to the masala chai.
Benefits: Cinnamon is rich in potent antioxidants that helps fight free radicals in the body. It also has anti-inflammatory effects that reduce inflammation in the body thereby healing muscle pains, headaches, pain related to bruises etc.
Dominant taste: Offers a gentle liquorice note to the tea.
Benefits: Fennel is rich source of vitamin C and potassium. It is also rich in fibre that keeps metabolism running smoothly. Fennel is a great immunity booster that helps prevent various infections and diseases.
Dominant taste: Fresh ginger adds a nice sweet- spicy hint to the tea.
Benefits: Ginger is packed with high number of potent antioxidant compounds. The antioxidant properties prevent and inhibit inflammation, asthama, nausea and also reduce the risk of cancer. Ginger also aids in digestion and improves metabolism.
Dominant taste: Adds a spicy bite to your chai tea.
Benefits: Rich in anti-oxidants that help you fight free radicals in the body thereby getting you rid of heavy metals. It also has a fat burning property thus helping you maintain a healthy weight.
Dominant taste: Cardamom gives a smokey-sweet taste top the chai.
Benefits: Cardamom detoxifies and cleanses the liver. It stimulates circulation and also helps fight seasonal and usual respiratory allergies that prevent cold, cough, itchy nose etc.
CHAI TEA SPICE MIX RECIPE
Things you need: to make the masala chai spice mix, you need the following ingredients-
MASALA CHAI TEA RECIPE
- 1/2 cup dry ginger powder
- 2 tablespoon green cardomom
- 5-6 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tbsp cloves
- fennel 3 tbsp
- pepper – 1tsp
- First, you need to dry roast certain spices for 7-8 minutes- cinnamon, cloves, pepper and cardamom. This adds on to their flavour and also makes it easier to grind.
- Add the roasted spices to a grinder and grind it until fine.
- Add ginger powder to it and mix well.
- Sieve the prepared powder to remove any granules and particles.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container.
- To use, add 1 teaspoon of the spice mix to brewing cup of black tea and let it simmer. Add milk and filter. Enjoy hot! More on how to make chai tea.