Ginger is such a herb that can cure many health problems and so has been widely used since centuries. It works the same way like non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs which include aspirin and ibuprofen. Ginger works as a mild stimulant which boosts blood circulation in the body.
So coming to the topic, i.e., treating upset stomach, ginger contains gingerols and shogaols which relax the intestinal tract and prevent motion sickness; this relieves nausea, stomach cramps, vomiting, diarrhea, etc.
How Does Ginger Treat Upset Stomach?
- With anti-inflammatory properties ginger helps in increasing the digestive juice release and thus neutralizes stomach acids giving relief to the stomach.
- Ginger is rich in gingerols and shagaols which reduce free radicals production and prevent them from damaging the body. It also relaxes the gastro intestinal tract and relieves pain and gas.
- It also makes the body absorb the nutrients from the food consumed effectively.
- It eliminates the extra gas formed in your stomach through intestinal tract reducing the risk of developing intestinal problems.
- Ginger improves saliva and other juices like gastric and bile juice production for better digestion.
- It relaxes muscles and thus relieves stomach cramps.
- It reduces the inflammation and boosts blood circulation in the body.
How To use Ginger?
- Daily after meals eat a piece of peeled ginger to ease digestion and avoid stomach problems. You should take 1 gram of fresh ginger for this purpose.
- Mix ginger juice and lemon juice in equal proportions with a pinch of black salt or regular table salt. If you want, you can also dilute it with and drink it whenever your stomach feels uneasy.
- If you can’t eat ginger directly or drink its juice then use it as a spice while cooking. You can even make ginger powder or paste and use it regularly.
- You can try taking ginger with soup. Take 2 cups of water in a pan and heat it. Now add 4 teaspoons of minced ginger to it along with 2 cups of any vegetable of your choice. Cook it over 20 – 25 minutes with lid on the top. Keep it aside and let cool down; add this with buttermilk and salt in a bowl and drink it. Drink it few times a day till your stomach feels better.
- Drink ginger tea thrice a day to cure all your stomach problems. If you want, add few herbs like cinnamon sticks to make healthier and tastier. You can also use ginger, lemon and honey as your tea ingredients as well. If you are not comfortable with this tea then while making your regular cup of tea which used tea powder and milk, add ginger slices.
- If you like salads then add ginger to it. Mix ¼ teaspoon grated ginger, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar, 4 tablespoons of sesame oil and a garlic clove. Use this as your salad dressing to cure your stomach problem.
- Peel and cut a ginger piece into slices. Now take 2 – 3 cups of sugar in a pot and place over medium flame letting it to boil. Simmer it for next 4 – 6 hours and keep it aside to cool down. Drink it for few times a day to boost your immunity.