Tomato puree is in general used as a base for certain gravy based recipe. Tomato puree can also be used instead of using tomatoes on the whole. While tomato puree can be got easily from the shops, it is advised to make tomato puree at home as that obviously is a healthy option. The tomato puree that you purchase from outside happens to contains artificial food colors and MSG, which is not at all good for our health. So it is better to make tomato puree at home especially since it is really an easy affair.
In India most of the north Indian dishes has tomato puree as the base for the gravy. Basically to make tomato puree at home, you need to understand 3 simple steps and that is blanching, pureeing and then simmering. You can also make instant tomato puree for one time use and also to store it for longer time.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Tomatoes- 4
- Water- to blanch
- Sugar- ½ teaspoon
- Vinegar- ¼ teaspoon
- Salt- ¼ teaspoon
- Take the tomatoes and clean it well in running water.
- Make a small plus with a knife on one of the sides of the tomatoes, make sure you are not cutting too deep, the cut needs to be just to mark. This will allow better blanching and cooking the tomatoes inside.
- Keep water in a vessel just enough to cover the tomatoes and let it heat up. Once it heats up put the tomatoes inside the vessel and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- Take out the tomatoes from the water and let it cool. After that cut the tomatoes and remove the seeds inside. De-skin it completely.
- Put the tomato pulp minus the skin in a mixer.
- Add Sugar and salt and grind it in the mixer.
- You will get a smooth puree, this is an instant version of tomato puree. It can be used immediately.
- To store it for longer time, pour it in a vessel, add vinegar and simmer it until it thickens a bit.
- That’s it now the tomato puree is ready to be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
- Removing the seeds of the tomato is optional
- Store the tomato puree in an airtight container.
- The tomato puree can be stored up to 2 weeks.