Jamuns (Black Plum or Black Berry) are now in season and its time to stock up on them as they have a lot of health and beauty benefits. There is an age-old belief that if you eat enough jamuns in the summer, you will be healthy for the rest of year and have enough immunity to combat winter flus. If you had read the moral story of the monkey and crocodile when you were a kid, you must now realize why the crocodile loved those black jamuns that the monkey threw at him everyday! In this post, I will share with you the benefits of drinking jamun juice everyday as well as how to prepare it.
* Jamun is the best fruit recommeded by doctors for diabetic patients. It helps keep blood-sugar levels in check and has a low glycemic index. Diabetics can also take 1 spoon of dried seeds powder of the fruit twice a day as the seeds contain an ingredient called ‘jamboline’ which helps control the conversion of starch to sugar.
* It is rich in iron content and cures anemia and menstrual problems by increasing red blood corpuscles in the body. It also relieves body weakness and fatigue.
* You must have seen Jamun juice being sold a lot in ayurveda shops. Jamun has a special place in ayurveda as it increases vata and balances pitta and body heat. It is a natural coolant for the body.
* Drinking jamun juice everyday improves digestion. It detoxifies entire body and is also used to treat digestive disorders like diarrhea, dysentery, vomiting and irritable bowel syndrome.
* Jamun juice when mixed with honey and amla and consumed every morning is an excellent immunity booster.
* If you suffer from teeth and gum problems, just apply jamun juice to the affected area and also drink the juice. It also cures mouth ulcers, gum inflammations and bleeding apart from strengthening the teeth and gums.
* For a clear and glowing skin, drink jamun juice everyday in the morning. If detoxifies and purifies blood which gives your skin a healthy glow.
* Jamuns also contain vitamin C which improves skin complexion.
* Jamun juice is a natural astringent and can be used as a toner. Just apply some fresh jamun juice on your face after cleansing. It reduces pore size and controls oiliness.
* Mix jamun juice with gram flour and use it as a face wash. It effectively cleanses and purifies skin.
* If you suffer from very oily skin, you can try a face pack using squashed jamun, curd and rose water. Applying this everyday will reduce oil secretion and evens out skin tone.
* Jamun seeds are effective in treating pimples and acne. Dry the jamun seeds in the sun for a week. Finely grind them into a powder. Mix the powder with honey and apply on the pimples and leave overnight. Wash off in the morning. When done continuosly for a month, you can see a noticeable reduction in pimples, dark spots and pigmentation.