Carrots are not only delicious but also offer a variety of health and beauty benefits. Remember how our moms made us eat carrots in our school days, citing that they were good for eyesight and you don’t have to wear spectacles if you eat carrots? Well, turns out that carrots are not just good for eyesight but have a lot of other benefits too. Read on to know the health benefits of carrots and also how they can be used in beauty for skin and hair.
Health benefits of carrots:
* Cardiovascular benefits: Carrots are rich in carotenoids – beta-carotene and alpha-carotene that are associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Regular consumption of carrots protects your heart from oxidative damage and also reduces cholestrol levels. The soluble fibers in carrots bind with the bile acids which controls cholestrol.
* Blood pressure: Carrots contain high levels of potassium which can relax the tension in your blood vessels and arteries, and increases blood flow and circulation. The coumarin ingredient found in carrots helps in reducing hypertension.
* Preventing cancer: Carrots are rich in antioxidants which fights and destroy pre-cancerous cells in the tumour. These anti-carcinogenic properties inhibit the growth of cancerous cells. Research shows that carrots are effective in reducing the risk of lung cancer, breast cancer and colon cancer.
* Anti-ageing: The high levels of beta-carotene present in carrots act as an antioxidant and thus prevent and reverse free radicals damage done to the body and slows down aging of cells.
* Lower Cholesterol: Carrots contain high amounts of soluble fiber, largely from pectin, which could be the reason they’ve been shown to lower cholesterol.
* Eye sight: The beta-carotene present in carrots is converted to vitamin A in the liver. Vitamin A is essential for good vision, especially protects against night blindness, glaucoma and macular degeneration. Thus, carrots are excellent for eyes.
* Dental health: Carrots help to scrape off plague and food particles and thus maintain dental health. Carrots can stimulate the formation of saliva which balances the acid-forming and cavity-forming bacteria. The various minerals present in carrots also kill harmful germs in the mouth and prevent tooth decay.
* Boosts immunity: Carrots contain antiseptic and antibacterial properties which helps to boost the immune system. They are a rich source of vitamin C which increases the activitity of white blood cells and thus maintain immunity.
* Body cleansing: The vitamin A present in carrots helps the liver in flushing out toxins and the accumulation of bile and fat in the liver. The dietery fibre content helps to clean out the colon and prevents conditions like constipation and acid reflux.