Sugaring is an all-natural method that uses a paste or gel made from sugar, water and lemon juice to easily remove the hair from the root. It washes off easily with water and the results can last up to six weeks.
To make a natural hair removal sugar wax, you will need:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Pour sugar and water in a saucepan and melt it until the sugar caramelizes.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon to the sugar.
- Be careful the sugar will be foamy and hot, continue stirring on medium heat until the mixture has completely melted attains a golden brown color.
- Let the wax cool down before you use it.
- Transfer it to a glass jar with a lid.
To use with fabric or wax strips:
- Dust a little baby powder or cornstarch on the skin to absorb any oils so that the wax sticks a lot better to the skin making the hair removal process less painful,
- Using a dull knife or Popsicle stick, spread the cooled sugar mixture onto your skin.
- Press a strip of cotton fabric or waxing strips on it, rub the fabric a few times to warm it up and pull it in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Rinse off with cold water and use a chilled aloe vera gel to avoid bumps or redness after wax.
To use without fabric or wax strips:
Add one part water to two parts sugar in a small saucepan. Add a splash of lemon juice. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. If you are using a candy thermometer you’ll continue to cook the sugar until it reaches the “hard ball” stage. Take the mixture off the stove and allow it to cool. Once it’s reached room temperature it’s ready to use. With a plastic knife or any type of safe applicator, like a Popsicle stick, scoop a generous amount of the wax out of the container, and lightly apply it to your designated area. After the wax is applied, let it cool for a few more minutes. Gently begin to lift the edges of the sugar wax on any corner of the application. You want to lift it enough so you can get a firm grip on the wax, to ensure easy removal. Just grab the wax and pull back against the direction of hair growth. And that’s that! No messy waxing sheets.