We also know the basics of dental hygiene – brushing, flossing and mouthwash. But do you also know that certain foods can help in maintaining our dental health, giving stronger teeth and healthier gums? Below is a list of foods which can help in healthy teeth and gums:
1. Milk: The calcium and vitamin D content in milk helps in strengthening teeth and bones. Also, they contain casein protein which protects teeth from cavity.
2. Tea: Both green tea and black tea contain a compound called polyphenols which inhibits bacterial growth and reduces plaque buildup. They are also anti-inflammatory and prevents periodontal gum diseases. Tea also refreshes mouth and controls bad breath.
3. Green leafy vegetables: They are crunchy and fibrous and are good sources of vitamins and minerals which are good for teeth.
4. Water: Drink lots of water in a day. Water keeps the gums well hydrated and washes away all food particles in your mouth. It also helps to regulate saliva production which neutralises the harmful acids in mouth.
5. Apple: Apple is a natural cleanser for teeth. Eating an apple after a meal helps to clean your entire mouth. Also, the crunchy fruit stimulates gums and increases saliva circulation in the mouth.
6. Cheese: It lowers the acid levels in the mouth. Cheese also contains minerals like calcium and phospohorous along with casein for fortifying teeth and gums.
7. Onions: Raw onions contain sulphur compounds which help in elimination of harmful bacteria from mouth and thus prevent tooth decay.
8. Carrots: The abrasive nature of carrots helps clean stains from the interior of teeth.
9. Sugar-free gums: Chewing sugarless gums boosts saliva secretion and also is a good exercise for strengthening jaw.
10. Sesame oil: Sesame oil has been used for oral health since traditional times. It helps dissolve plaque and boosts oral health. Just swish some sesame oil in your mouth every morning as soon as you wake up.
11. Pears: Pears are fibrous and they help neutralize acid levels in the mouth. Also, they cleanse the teeth surfaces effectively.
12. Oranges: The vitamin C content in the fruits helps in maintaining collagen which gives stronger gums and heals gum infections.