Itchy skin can be a cause of perpetual embarrassment and extreme discomfort. Often, itchy skin is also accompanied by such conditions like redness, roughness, blisters and bumps. So, why let itchy skin trouble your existence when you can easily take care of the problem by resorting to easy and effective home remedies? Instead of scratching that itchy skin and aggravating the soreness, opt for the easiest remedies to relieve the same!
Top Five home remedies for itchy skin
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is a saviour when it comes to skin irritation of all kinds. It has natural moisturizing and soothing properties. If you have this wonder plant growing in your yard, nothing can be better! Just break a leaf off the plant and with the help of a knife, cut it vertically. Apply the mushy gel that oozes out on the affected area for instant relief.
- Peppermint: If the reason behind your itchy skin is a bug bite, peppermint is just the right remedy for you. One of the easiest ways to use it for relieving itchiness is by crushing the leaves and applying directly on the skin. Alternately, for a super-effective soothing solution, crush peppermint leaves and mix with filtered water. Freeze these packed down peppermint leaves to offer instant cooling effect and reduce itchy feeling.
- Holy Basil leaves: Basil or tulsi is a storehouse of compounds like camphor, eugenol and thymol that prevent itching. Wash and crush a handful of basil leaves and rub them on the skin. In fact, rubbing the skin with crushed basil leaves also satisfies your intense desire to scratch! Alternately, prepare holy basil tea and apply the concoction on the affected area by dunking cotton ball into the tea.
- Poppy seeds: Soak poppy seeds in milk for at least five hours and then, grind it to prepare a smooth paste. Apply this paste on your skin and wait for it to dry. Wash off to treat rough and itchy skin.
- Green clay: Green clay has healing properties that can cure itchiness resulting from acne, poisonous stings and bites. Mix green clay with apple cider vinegar, which has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties. Prepare a creamy paste. Now pour the paste liberally on a piece of cotton cloth and place the cloth on the affected area. Keep it on till the clay turns dry and hard. You may use bandage tape to keep the cloth intact.
How to care for itchy skin: self care tips
- Always opt for moisturising creams from reputed brands and use it once daily to keep your skin hydrated. Often, itchy skin stems from dryness.
- Go for soaps that are mild, sans fragrances and dyes and each time you use the soap for cleansing, wash it completely off your skin.
- Dry fruits are excellent for aiding your skin retain moisture. Almonds are the best in this category. So, make sure that you snack on your favourite nuts and dry fruits regularly.
- Avoid scratching your skin as much as possible.
- Drink plenty of water and stay away from alcohol and caffeine drinks.
- You may use essential oils like clove oil, basil oil, bay leaf oil, calendula oil, chickweed oil, thyme oil, neem oil and rosemary oil in your daily skincare regimen to care for itchy skin.
Isn’t it easy to care for itchy skin with home remedies? Be patient and remain dedicated and lo! That itchiness and soreness has faded away!