Gatorade, PowerAde, electrolyte pumped-up sports drinks…they’re good for you, right? They help you maintain your body’s balance of electrolytes during or after periods of heavier exercise. But when you look closer, you’re really just paying an outrageous price for glorified, brightly coloured, sugar water. An overload of processed and refined sweetener (in the case of sports drinks, high-fructose corn syrup) is never a good thing. Why invest in a sugar loaded coloured energy drinks when you can make one at home yourself? After all you have a control on what u add to it!
Here is a recipe for DIY Healthy Energy Drink. But before moving on to the recipe, let us know its benefits:
- Lemons are not only detoxifying to the liver but also provide a great hit of potassium- an essential electrolyte and has lots of other benefits.
- Ginger is delicious; helps ease stomach problems, and may even help with muscle soreness and recovery.
- Salt is essential for electrolyte balance.
- Chia seed drinks are the perfect snack as they have natural sugars that, combined with the fat and protein of the seeds, holds you over for hours.
Things you need-
- 1 medium sized ginger root
- Juice of 3 small lemons
- 1 litre water+1/2 litre water for making ginger water
- ½ or 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsps. Chia seeds
- Stevia or honey for taste
- Cut thin ginger slices and boil them in ½ litre water for 15 minutes.
- Combine other ingredients with 1 litre water and add ginger water to it.
- Add stevia or honey as per your taste.
- Sip it like regular energy drink!
Tip: you may also substitute normal water with coconut water.