‘Halitosis’, generally known as ‘bad breath’, is a very common problem to many of us. Your mouth can be full of bad bacteria, you may have been suffering from dental and gum issues or may be, you have just consumed some smelly foods. But whatever the reason is, it needs to be cured. Though there are certainly lots of choices for commercially available mouthwash, they are loaded with chemicals. So, let’s learn the homemade cinnamon mouthwash recipe and give our breath a refreshing boost.
Benefits of Homemade Cinnamon Mouthwash – Yes, this amazing homemade mouthwash is exclusively used for getting rid of bad breath. But how does it remove that stinky smell from your mouth? The secret lies in its ingredients and their individual benefits.
- Cinnamon – This is one of the best natural ingredients for treating bad breath. It can destroy all those bacteria which are responsible for causing foul smell in our mouth, thereby helping us get rid of bad odor successfully.
- Lemon – The stinking smell caused in our mouth can efficiently be masked by the refreshing aroma of lemon. The strong citrus scent plays a key role in increasing the power if cinnamon in this homemade mouthwash.
- Honey – Honey has high level of antimicrobial content (methylglyoxa), which speeds up the procedure of killing oral bacteria.
- Baking Soda – It also comes with bacteria-killing properties and you can also get whiter teeth by using it in your mouthwash.
DIY Cinnamon Mouthwash Recipe
Things you need-
- Cinnamon powder – (1/2) tablespoon
- Lemon – 1 small
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Pour the cinnamon powder into the bottle.
- Squeeze out the juice of the lemon and pour into it.
- Add in baking soda.
- Finally, pour warm water into the bottle and keep stirring the mixture with the help of a spoon until well combined. (You can also shake the bottle well by fitting the cap tightly.)
- Once all the ingredients blend well together, set the cap on the bottle tightly and store it.
How to use-
This homemade mouthwash gives the best results when used every day in the morning. You can brush your teeth followed by washing your mouth with this solution. All you need to do is to shake the bottle well, take 1 to 2 tablespoons of the liquid (depending upon your tolerance) in your mouth and swish for a minute or so. Empty your mouth in a basin and swish plain water around it. Voila!
Tips to Remember:
- It is always best to use freshly grounded cinnamon for preparing mouthwash.
- Make sure that you squeeze out the juice from both lemons right before pouring into the bottle. It improves the efficiency of the mouthwash.
- Make sure that the water is warm enough. It will melt/mix the ingredients completely and give the solution a perfect runny texture.
- Do not store one batch for more than 2 weeks as it doesn’t contain any sort of preservative.