Flawless complexion is a dream for many. Well, it is not impossible to get the skin of your dreams by following home remedies. However, at times, home remedies can be slow and may not even get the desired results. This happens in cases where your skin has suffered serious damage due to sun exposure, acne, ageing and other skin conditions. The key is not to lose heart and keep exploring the options available. Chemical peeling is one such alternative which can get you very close to the perfect skin; however, if not properly executed, may also result in some side-effects. So, let us explore a bit more about chemical peels.
What is a Chemical Peel? Chemical Peel is a procedure in which an acid solution is used as a facial peel to remove the outer layers of the skin to reveal a new layer. The new skin is less damaged and has better color, texture and tone. Peeling is very effective in treating blemishes, pigmentation and wrinkles. A physician may use alpha hydroxy acid (AHA), beta hydroxy acid (BHA), lactic acid, trichloroacetic acid (TCA) or even phenol on the skin to get the desired benefits.
Chemical peels have been used since ages to achieve a better skin. Though they are more popular now because of the quick and easy procedure which gets almost immediate results. Generally, a chemical peel is of three types – superficial (lunchtime) peel, medium peel and deep peel. This classification is based on the depth of the peel on the skin and the chemical concentrations applied. You can pick one depending on the extent of the damage to the skin and the time in hand for post-treatment healing.
Benefits of Chemical Peels:
- Anti-Ageing: Chemical peel will help in diminishing wrinkles and fine lines far better than any cream or serum. You get to enjoy a smoother and younger skin.
- Clear Skin: Peels also get rid of blemishes to an extent and lessen the scarring caused due to acne.
- Repairs Sun-Damage: Dark spots caused due to melasma and sun damage are very difficult to treat. Chemical peels can lessen the damage and the dark spots by dissolving the outer layers of the skin.
- Affordable: Peels are reasonably priced compared to invasive surgeries and the entire gamut of anti-aging skin care products.
- Quick Turnaround: Superficial peels require minimal recovery time and hence, allow you to get back to your life quickly.
- Collagen Growth: Exfoliation caused by the chemical peels aids in cell renewal and collagen production.
- Improved Skin: Chemical peels improve the texture of the skin and imparts a glow.
- Enhanced Confidence: A smooth and vibrant skin leads to enhanced confidence.
Precautions and Side Effects: You need to be aware of the following side effects caused by peeling:
- Potential scarring.
- Temporary/permanent skin discoloration.
- Irritation and redness.
- Sun sensitivity.
- Skin swelling or infection.
Chemical peel is a less invasive and very effective way to find a way back to glowing and healthy skin. As it has its potential side-effects, it is advisable to consult a doctor and research completely before taking a step towards chemical peeling.