Lavender- the word itself brings about a sense of calmness and beauty with it. Lavender is a beautiful and useful herb. It is aromatic and relaxes our senses easily and this is the reason for it making into many aromatherapy recipes. Lavender has also been regarded as an aphrodisiac from a long time and so is most loved all over the globe too. It is also used in tea for its relaxing as well as the ability to treat diabetes and of course the insulin resistance it provides.
The properties of Lavender are as follows: Antidepressant, Expectorant, Analgesic, Vulnerary, Cicatrizant, Antiseptic, Nervine.
Benefits of Lavender oil:
- Treats wrinkles
- Relaxes the mind
- Treats Insomnia
- Treats acne
- Is a good toner
- Used in the treatment of insect bites
- Used in treating tired hands and feet
- Controls hair loss
- Good conditioner for hair
- Used to treat hair lice
- Cures headache
- Relieves Nausea
Lavender however is recognized most for relieving a tired mind. It relieves anxiety and stress from the mind.
Let us now look at the home remedies using lavender:
- Lavender steam: Lavender steam is great for cold as well as flu and also to clear acne. To make the steam, boil water in a vessel and add 4 to 6 drops of lavender oil in it. Cover your head with a towel while taking the steam for better results. Inhale the vapors of the steam for a few minutes.
- Lavender Detox Bath Salt and Scrub: Lavender bath is great to relax as well as relieving the muscle aches etc. Mix :
* 2 cups Epsom Salt
* 1 cup Baking soda
* 10-15 drops Lavender Oil
In a bath tub filled with water, add the DIY bath salts. Lie back in the bath tub and enjoy the most relaxing bath to experience ever. To use as a body scrub just add * 1/2 cup Oil (you can use coconut, olive, almond) to the above mixture and store it in a glass container.
- For insomnia: Spray some lavender oil on your pillow every night to induce sound sleep
- Insect bite: If you get stung by some insect then just put a drop of lavender oil on the insect bite to stop the itching as well as to decrease swelling.
- Sunburnt lips: Sunburnt lips get excellent relief with lavender oil. Just dab a drop of lavender oil on the lips and leave overnight.
- Lavender oil for heavenly massage: If you have sore and tight muscles, or an injury that has healed, this massage will benefit you the most. The oil will get deep into the blood stream and help in healing the injuries quickly and effectively. Use the lavender oil along with carrier oil. You can also use 5 drops of lavender oil along with 10ml of vegetable oil.
- To calm the mind: Take 2-3 drops of lavender oil in your palms; spread it over by rubbing it in the palms. Inhale the scent, this will let the scent get into the amygdala gland in the brain and calm the mind. Rub this oil in the feet, temples as well as wrists for an instant calming feeling on the body overall.