They are light brown in color and have really fine stripes all over the outer surface. Anise is popularly called as Saunf in India and usually used in dishes. Anise often is also added to licorice candy or used as a ?licorice flavor substitute.
Anise has certain important plants derived chemical compounds that are great anti oxidants. It prevents diseases and promotes health too. The reason behind the sweet flavor it has is anethole which happens to be an essential volatile oil found in the spice.
Anise seeds are very good source of a lot of essential B-complex vitamins like riboflavin, pyridoxine, niacin, magnesium and zinc.
- Anise can be used to get relief from intestinal gas. It can be used when your stomach is upset also.
- Anise also acts as an expectorant and increases productive cough.
- It is a diuretic and increases the urine flow.
- Anise is an appetite stimulant.
- Anise can treat menstrual discomfort.
- Anise helps to increase milk flow in nursing women.
- Anise eases the chidbirth.
- Anise is used in the treatment of seizures, insomnia, asthma, nicotine dependence as well as constipation.
- Anise can help in the treatment of scabies, psoriasis and lice.
- Anise is used in dairy products, meats, gelatins, breath fresheners as well as candies.
- Anise is also used in the soap creams, sachets and perfumes.
- If you are suffering from migraine, all you need to do is make a paste of anise seeds and apply it on your forehead, temples and neck. This will help in relieving the headaches and migraine.
- Anise has the ability to increase the sex drive. Drink one glass of water infused with the crushed seeds every night and this can increase one’s sex drive.
- Aniseed oil is also a very good product.. Drops of aniseed oil can be used as vaporizer. It will help to clear congestion and coughing.
- If you have sore throat, laryngitis or pharyngitis, gargle with tea made form anise seeds. This will give you instant relief.
Side effects of anise: There are a few points you need to remember as if had in excess it can be bad for the body.
Anise can be a narcotic if taken in large doses. Anise seeds have anethole, which is a plant hormone like human estrogen and it promotes menstruation, so be careful if you do not want to pre-pone your menstruation cycle. It will also increase lactation in nursing mothers. Anise should be avoided in pregnancy and also for babies.