Exfoliation is an essential step which should be included in your skin care routine. It helps us to achieve an younger looking skin and to prevent signs of ageing. In this post I will try my best to jot down all the necessary points about exfoliation and will also recommend exfoliator according to skin types.
Some benefits of skin exfoliation-
- Gets rid of dead skin cells
- Cleans up the pores removing excess oil and dirt
- Increases blood circulation.
- Reduces appearance of blackheads and whiteheads
- Cleans product building from the pores.
- Makes skin softer and smoother.
Face exfoliation– The skin of the face is more thin and sensitive than the body skin. To exfoliate your face follow these steps-
- First, clean your face with regular cleanser. You can avoid your face wash which tends to make your skin dry and instead use a good cleanser.
- After cleaning the face with cleanser start to exfoliate. You should use a mild scrub or exfoliator because facial skin is very delicate. Harsh granules can make worse than doing good. Also don’t use to much pressure with your fingers. Avoid scrubbing area around the eye. Scrubbing there can make fine lines or can enhance them if you already have any.
- Exfoliation shouldn’t be done for more then 1-2 minutes. So scrub gently in a circular motion concentrating the nose area or your problem area. Wash your face with Luke warm water and then cold water.
- In between the above mentioned two steps you can also include a step which is face steaming >>
- After completing exfoliation and rinsing process, remove excess water from your face with a clean and soft towel. It is the best time to apply some serum and you can skip your toner now. Serum is more potent than moisturizer or creams so they can penetrate well into the skin.
Scrublets are also used to exfoliate skin but I don’t use them personally for facial skin exfoliation. If you have very rough skin you may use this. But you can easily use them for body exfoliation purpose! I have combination skin which secretes too much oil in summer. So I avoid too much scrubbing and not more than the necessity.
Here are some good scrubs available which you can try also- I have oily skin and I found some high end brand scrub is not suiting my skin! But I surprised seeing the result of some budget scrubs.
- Oily skin Scrub – Salt scrub Recipe
- Normal skin Scrub – Coffee Scrub Recipe
- Dry skin Scrub – Sugar Scrub Recipe
Note- If you have severe sensitive or acne prone skin, stay away from physical scrubbers and use chemical exfoliant like salisylic acid under supervision of an expert dermatologist.