Yes you read that right! You might have used a lot of natural ingredients to wash your hair, but ever tried egg? Egg is used in a lot of DIY hair masks but rarely used to wash hair; use it instead of your shampoo and see a huge difference in your hair texture and shine! Eggs are usually not liked by many in hair DIYs as the smell lingers around for quite some time; do read the tips and tricks in the end on how to deal with the egg smell afterwards. I do not use shampoo and have tried anything and everything on my hair, trust me eggs work the best! It also nourishes your hair if you have chemically treated or coloured hair. Below are some ways to use eggs to wash your hair along with its benefits:
- Egg contains lots of rich fats and protein that help to treat and moisturize your hair.
- Egg repairs split ends and fizziness thus making your hair soft and shiny.
- Eggs are a great source of protein that strengthens your hair follicles and makes your hair naturally thick.
- Eggs add a shiny coat to your hair and repairs splits that reflect light.
RECIPES FOR DIY EGG MIXTURES FOR WASHING HAIR:
EGG AND LEMON SHAMPOO
In a bowl, take 1 whole egg (or more depending on your hair length and thickness) and add in juice of 1 whole lemon. Give it a good whisk or blend it to make it smooth. Use this to massage your hair and scalp. Rinse it out thoroughly.
EGG AND YOGURT SHAMPOO FOR SOFT SHINY HAIR
In a bowl, take 1 whole egg (or more depending on your hair length and thickness) and add in 3 tablespoons of thick yogurt. Give it a good whisk or blend it to make sure there are no lumps. Use this to massage your hair and scalp. Rinse it out thoroughly.
EGG AND COCONUT MILK SHAMPOO FOR HAIR GROWTH
In a bowl, take 1 whole egg and ½ cup coconut milk/6-7 tablespoons of coconut milk (or more depending on your hair length and thickness). Give it a good whisk or blend it to make it smooth. Use this to massage your hair and scalp. Rinse it out thoroughly.
TIPS TO PREVENT OR GET RID OF EGG SMELL:
- Add water to your recipes to dilute the egg mixtures so that the smell isn’t strong.
- Use apple cider vinegar rinse after using egg to wash hair and let it work for 15 minutes. Rinse off.
- You can remove the yolks if you want to reduce smell, but yolks work the best!
- Use a strong smelling hair mask or conditioner after using egg.
- Use lemon juice spray on hair after using egg. Keep it for 30 minutes and wash it off.
- You can use baking soda solution to massage scalp and hair after using egg. Make sure you use an ACV rinse later to balance the scalp PH.