Eyesight is quite often affected due to lack of proper care, which slowly degrades into conditions such as cataracts and age related macular degeneration. According to Ayurveda, Alochaka Pitta is the eyesight regulating factor that tends to weaken over the time. Stress, diabetes, smoking, alcohol, excess caffeine, and excessive use of computer and television are the major culprits behind the weakening of this factor.
Do not panic as Ayurveda does have some effective eye care solutions. A good diet rich in vitamin A along with certain exercises from yoga is what Ayurveda prescribes for you. Read on to know in detail about the effective Ayurvedic eye care remedies right here…
The Diet: Include apples and grapes in your diets to ensure that your vision is intact. Carrots, in supple amounts, are also advised as they are rich sources of carotenoids, the vitamin essential for proper eyesight. Ayurveda suggests the inclusion of cucumber juice regularly in your diet to ward off eye ailments and improve the vision. Some of the other food items that you can include in your diet for better vision include: Green peas, Milk, Butter, Tomato, Cabbage, Lettuce, Turnip, Dates, Almonds and Oranges.
Ayurvedic Herbs For Your Eyes: Here are couple of Ayurvedic herbs that you can include in your diet to ensure that your vision is better….
- Indian Gooseberry: Packed with vitamin C in lush amounts, this is known to prevent age-related macular degeneration. Drink 20 ml of unsweetened amla juice twice a day to keep cataract away.
- Bhringraj: While this herb is more known for its hair benefits, studies do suggest that they soothe the stress. This, in turn, ease the pressure experienced by the optic nerves and gift you with stronger vision. Just apply Bringraj oil or paste atop your eyes for best results.
- Black Pepper: Make a paste by mixing 1 tbsp honey with 1 tsp black pepper. You can consume this mixture everyday to improve your sight.
- Clarified Butter: Consume one 1 tsp of ghee daily for that dose of protein and healthy fats. You can massage your soles with a little ghee to enhance your vision.
- Rose: Clean rose petals and extract the juice by crushing them. You can add a few drops to your eyes as well as consume this fresh juice to improve the sight and prevent age induced vision disorders. This is also a very effective cure for conjunctivitis or pink eye.
- Licorice: Loaded with antioxidants, it is an innate antibacterial and antiviral agent, which enables it to be used as a powerful tool against pink eye. Dissolve 1 tsp of the powdered licorice in 250 ml milk and taking this concoction twice a day for better vision.
- Turmeric: The golden yellow spice powder of Indian kitchen is a recommended Ayurvedic remedy for various eye disorders and infections, including conjunctivitis. The reason – it is an innate antiseptic, antibacterial agent, anti-inflammatory agent, and antioxidant.
- Triphala: Along with strengthening the optic muscles and improving your vision, triphala is one of the most prescribed Ayurvedic remedies for various vision issues including conjunctivitis, progressive myopia, glaucoma, and even cataracts. There are studies that suggest that this powerful medicine could even be used in healing impaired vision. Soak 1 tsp powdered triphala in 250 ml clean water overnight. Strain and use this concoction to wash your eyes for improving your vision.
Do you have any vision issues? Try these Ayurvedic eye care remedies, but under the consultation of a doctor.