Ginger is a flowering plant in the family Zingiberaceae; its root is widely used as a spice, and it has been used in folk medicine for thousands of years. Ginger root and ginger essential oil are gaining popularity for their preservation and flavouring capabilities. The most potent form of ginger is the essential oil because it contains the highest levels of gingerol. The essential oil is the best way to use ginger as medicine; and here is how to make one along with its benefits:
- Rinse a cup of fresh ginger, including the skin, thoroughly, and let dry for a few hours.
- Pour ½ cup olive oil in an oven-safe bowl.
- Chop the ginger and then shred using a clean cheese grater.
- Add to the olive oil and mix well.
- Put the mixture in the oven and leave it to simmer under low heat (150 degrees Fahrenheit) for at least two hours.
- Pour the mixture through an unbleached cheese cloth to filter it and take out the bits of ginger.
- Once all the oil has been filtered, squeeze out the remaining oil from the cheese cloth. Transfer the ginger oil into clean vials or bottles and store in a cool dry place.
INFLAMMATION AND PAIN
The extract of ginger or ginger oil is often used in traditional medicine to reduce inflammation. Research has now proven that its anti-inflammatory properties can be attributed to the presence of a substance named Zingibain. It is analgesic in nature and reduces the pain caused by muscle aches, arthritis, rheumatic conditions, headaches, and migraines. Ginger oil or ginger paste is often topically massaged on aching muscles to remove muscle strain. Mix two to three drops in an ounce of carrier oil, and use as a massage oil. This helps relieve backache, arthritis, muscle pain, rheumatism, and fractures
Ginger essential oil is one of the best natural remedies for colic, indigestion, diarrhoea, spasms and stomach aches. Ginger oil is also effective as a nausea natural remedy and to treat vomiting.
Add 5-6 drops of Ginger to your aroma diffuser and diffuse for 30-60 minutes to alleviate a headache or migraine.
Ginger is useful for hair care as well. Ginger oil is useful in controlling dandruff and promote hair growth.
COUGH & COLD:
Apply two to three drops in a diffuser, or place on a cotton ball or your handkerchief, and then inhale for cough and cold. This will help reenergize and revitalize your body, mind, and soul.
One of the trickier issues to control because they’re increasingly resistant to conventional medicine, fungal infections don’t stand a chance against ginger! For a powerful antifungal punch, mix several drops of pure ginger essential oil with tea tree oil with one teaspoon of coconut oil, and apply up to three times a day.
When used as aromatherapy, ginger essential oil is able to relieve feelings of anxiety, anxiousness, depression and exhaustion. The warming quality of ginger oil serves as a sleep aid and stimulates feelings of courage and ease.
* Warning *: Consult your healthcare provider before use of any essential oils.