Ayurveda is one of the most sought after preventive and alternative healing techniques of modern era. Feet, I suppose, is one of the most neglected body parts. While many of you might be regularly getting your pedicure done, very less importance is given for a foot massage. Ayurveda stresses the importance of foot massage as it is essential to strengthen the nerves and restore your vitality.
Padabhyanga, as it is called, is known to be very beneficial for balancing your doshas. It is also one of the most suggested solutions for people suffering from frequent cramps, chronic fatigue, and various sleeping disorders, including insomnia.
Benefits of Foot Massage
- reduces stress and anxiety
- Good night sleep
- Releases stress and tension
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves digestion
- Improves Eyesight
- Cure headache
- Heal Cracked feet
What is Padabhyanga? Pada in Sanskrit means foot and Abhyanga means massage. This soothing and calming massage, if done the right way, leaves you completely rejuvenated and revitalized. It is recommended as a daily ritual that one needs to do before hitting the bed. Five of the 107 marmas are located in your foot and many a time, these are clogged with negative energy. Indulging in this massage technique will enable the release of the clogged energies and set you free.
How to do Padabhyanga: This massage is divided into three components.
- The Hand Techniques: It includes stroking and rubbing the foot to generate better cardiovascular circulation in the foot. These friction based movements also stimulate the flow of energy, directing it in the intended way. While sesame seed oil is used commonly, there are times when herbs are infused in the oil for better healing. In special cases herbs infused clarified butter is also used.
- The Kasa Bowl: Oil coated bowls are warmed and the round surfaces are used to massage the foot in circular motions as well as strokes for better circulation. Using a kasa bowl made of copper and tin ensures elimination of toxins. It also invigorates the nerve endings, releasing the negative energy.
- The Marma Therapy: These energy points are handled with ultimate care and massage thoroughly, yet gently to ensure that they are activated. The toxins are eliminated, while a path is carved for the elimination of negative energy. The entire massage lasts for about half an hour.
You will need:
- Ginger and salt
- warm water
- Any massage oil – you could use coconut oil, sesame or ghee.
- Take a tub of warm water.
- Now add some fresh crushed ginger.
- Then add a teaspoon of sea salt in to the tub and stir it well.
- Soak your feet in the tub and just get relax.
- After soaking your feet for about 20 to 30 minutes take them out and pat dry.
- Take some warm oil or ghee in your hand and apply it liberally all over your feet.
- Start massaging around your ankles first, starting with the area where your calf ends. Use your fingers and thumb to press the muscle from the base of your calf to your heel. The motion should be downwards and gentle. Use only as much pressure as you are comfortable with.
- Now, using your fingers and thumb, massage the part just below your ankle, moving your fingers from the inner portion of your foot to the outside.
- Next, move to your toes and massage the area between each toe with your index finger and thumb. Gently press each part and pull away from the finger.
- After this you can move to the base of your foot. Bend your leg at the knee and place your foot on the thigh of the other foot such that the bottom of your foot is facing upwards.
- Now bring your thumb to the centre of your foot and massage down into the centre. Repeat this for several times and then start massaging your heels.
- Complete this foot massage by repeating the entire process on the left foot.
- After this relaxing routine simply wash your feet with warm water.
- After you have washed them wear a pair of soft cotton socks and you are ready for a night of restful sleep.
- It can be done anytime of the day. Works best when done just before sleeping at night.
Therapeutic Benefits: Padabhyanga is therapeutic for the following conditions: Anxiety, Depression, Diabetic neuropathy, Insomni, Epilepsy, High blood pressure, Sprains, Stress, Cracked feet, Tired feet, Sciatica and Back pain. HOW TO GET RID OF A PIMPLE THE AYURVEDIC WAY
While you can do it at your home by using sesame oil regularly, if you are looking for the Padabhyanga as a cure for your underlying health conditions, then do visit an Ayurvedic center. The herbs, as well as essential oils added to the base oil, enhances the benefits this massage.